- 1 Passports Definition
- 2 Passports History
- 3 Passport Today
- 4 Consequences of applying for passport
- 5 Owing Allegiance
- 6 Social Security Number
- 7 Related Material
- 8 Footnotes
- . an official document issued by the government of a country to one of its citizens and, varying from country to country, authorizing travel to foreign countries and authenticating the bearer's identity, citizenship, right to protection while abroad, and right to reenter his or her native country.
- . anything that ensures admission or acceptance: A good education can be your passport to success.
any authorization to pass or go somewhere.
- . a document issued to a ship, especially to a neutral merchant ship in time of war, granting or requesting permission to proceed without molestation in certain waters.
- . a certificate intended to secure admission.
An early reference to Passports is found in the passport is found in the Hebrew Bible in the Book of Nehemiah 2:7–9. Many kings and caliphates issued passports for their bureaucrats and diplomats. Henry the V formed some of the standards for the modern passport. Passports for the most part were for diplomats. Rome stored the copies of such documents in the Temple of Saturn.
There were always some monarch who desired to restrict travel out of paranoia or a desire to control the people. The increases of international travel amongst republics after the American revolution and increased affluence had the consequence of a dilution of the passport system for the thirty years prior to World War I. People traveled the world for centuries without passports. Before World War II people called internationals moved from country to country without passports or allegiance to any one country. They were called internationals or even gypsies.
Much of that changed after the war when it became almost a requirement that you owed allegiance to one nation somewhere. We addressed this topic in podcasts and books but most people have little or no historical knowledge of the history of Passports.
Many people want to travel today and while a passport was not required for centuries. Today, it often is and it is considered a benefit. Some want that benefit without getting a number like the Social Security Number and they may. But the same obligations may come with that benefit. To understand what obligations are included with a desire to have a passport you should examine the law today.
Title 22 U.S. Code § 212 - Persons entitled to passport
"No passport shall be granted or issued to or verified for any other persons than those owing allegiance, whether citizens or not, to the United States."
Title 22 U.S. Code § 213 - Application for passport; verification by oath of initial passport
"Before a passport is issued to any person by or under authority of the United States such person shall subscribe to and submit a written application which shall contain a true recital of each and every matter of fact which may be required by law or by any rules authorized by law to be stated as a prerequisite to the issuance of any such passport. If the applicant has not previously been issued a United States passport, the application shall be duly verified by his oath before a person authorized and empowered by the Secretary of State to administer oaths."
Title 22 U.S. Code § 211 - Repealed. July 3, 1926, ch. 772,
Section, R.S. § 4075; act June 14, 1902, ch. 1088, § 1,32 Stat. 386, provided for issuance of passports. See section 211a of this title.
Those principles of "owing allegiance, whether citizens or not" include subjection to the Corvee service required by States, rulers of nations, the Fathers of the earth and such a passport is granted by those Benefactors who shall duly enforce that service at their will as scene expressed in the Oath of Naturalization and highlighted below:
"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."
The truth is there are solutions for this and many other problems facing those who will seek the kingdom of God and His righteousness. The early Church had a form of identification called the logos which allowed them to travel unmolested through the Roman Empire. Such things could be available to people who will network in the name of Christ.
Consequences of applying for passport
There can be far reaching consequences for getting the benefit of a passport, even a National Passport as a non US Citizen. But of course their are consequences from decades of covetous practices, or the voice of the people electing to have a ruler like Saul as we see listed in 1 Samuel 8, or the consequences of apply for benefits from rulers as explained by Polybius and Plutarch or all the warnings of the Apostles or in Proverbs 23 concerning a Knife to your throat, etc..
Website Guru Claims
Many people claim freedom Guru theories and strategies by using national passports. People like Kelby Thomas Smith and others to numerous to mention have websites like  or "state citizen". While they may be well intentioned the information and conclusions they my present are often dangerously inaccurate. These websites often suggest that the definition of a National is better than being a US citizen.
A national who not a citizen still owes permanent allegiance. Laws change but permanent allegiance does not. The conferring of nationality but not citizenship also requires oaths of that allegiance.
Some of these website suggest you can "beat the law" and put credence into ideas like the Act of 1871 made the United States a corporation and bound all Nationals as US citizens. The United States was already a corporation long before the Act of 1871.
The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)
The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) was enacted in 1952.
The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965, also known as the Hart–Celler Act, is a federal law passed by the 89th United States Congress and signed into law by President Lyndon Baines. Johnson.
According to Title 8 USC §1101: Definitions Text contains those laws in effect on January 27, 2021.
(a) As used in this chapter-
- (1) The term "administrator" means the official designated by the Secretary of State pursuant to section 1104(b) of this title.
- (2) The term "advocates" includes, but is not limited to, advises, recommends, furthers by overt act, and admits belief in.
- (3) The term "alien" means any person not a citizen or national of the United States.
- 12) The term "doctrine" includes, but is not limited to, policies, practices, purposes, aims, or procedures.
- 14) The term "foreign state" includes outlying possessions of a foreign state, but self-governing dominions or territories under mandate or trusteeship shall be regarded as separate foreign states.
- 15) The term "immigrant" means every alien except an alien who is within one of the following classes of nonimmigrant aliens-
- (A)(i) an ambassador, public minister, ....
- (22) The term "national of the United States" means (A) a citizen of the United States, or (B) a person who, though not a citizen of the United States, owes permanent allegiance to the United States.
- 30) The term "passport" means any travel document issued by competent authority showing the bearer's origin, identity, and nationality if any, which is valid for the admission of the bearer into a foreign country.
- 31) The term "permanent" means a relationship of continuing or lasting nature, as distinguished from temporary, but a relationship may be permanent even though it is one that may be dissolved eventually at the instance either of the United States or of the individual, in accordance with law.
- 36) The term "State" includes the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands of the United States, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
Certificates of Non Citizen Nationality
"The Department of State occasionally receives requests for certificates of non-citizen national status pursuant to Section 341(b)of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), 8 USC 1452(b)."
"As the title of the certificate indicates, only a person who is a non-citizen U.S. national (i.e., a U.S. national but not a U.S. citizen) may apply for such a certificate."
"As defined by the INA, all U.S. citizens are U.S. nationals but only a relatively small number of persons acquire U.S. nationality without becoming U.S. citizens. Section 101(a)(21) of the INA defines the term “national” as “a person owing permanent allegiance to a state.” Section 101(a)(22) of the INA provides that the term “national of the United States” includes all U.S. citizens as well as persons who, though not citizens of the United States, owe permanent allegiance to the United States (non-citizen nationals)."
"Section 308 INA confers U.S. nationality but not U.S. citizenship, on persons born in "an outlying possession of the United States" or born of a parent or parents who are non-citizen nationals who meet certain physical presence or residence requirements. The term “outlying possessions of the United States” is defined in Section 101(a)(29) of the INA as American Samoa and Swains Island. No other statutes define any other territories or any of the states as outlying possessions."
"In addition to Section 308 of the INA, Section 302 of Public Law 94 - 241 provides for certain inhabitants of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, who became United States citizens by virtue of Article III of the Covenant, to opt for non-citizen national status. (See requirements of Section 302)."
"As the Department has received few requests, there is no justification for the creation of a non-citizen national certificate. Designing a separate document that includes anti-fraud mechanisms was seen as an inefficient expenditure of resources. Therefore, the Department determined that those who would be eligible to apply for such a certificate may instead apply for a United States passport that would delineate and certify their status as a national but not a citizen of the United States."
"If a person believes he or she is eligible under the law as a non-citizen national of the United States and the person complies with the provisions of section 341(b) of the INA, 8 USC 1452(b),he/she may apply for a passport at any Passport Agency in the United States.. When applying, applicants must execute a Form DS-11 and show documentary proof of their non-citizen national status as well as their identity."
"Section 101(a)(22) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) states that “the term ‘national of the United States’ means (A) a citizen of the United States, or (B) a person who, though not a citizen of the United States, owes permanent allegiance to the United States.” Therefore, U.S. citizens are also U.S. nationals. Non-citizen nationality status refers only individuals who were born either in American Samoa or on Swains Island to parents who are not citizens of the United States. The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a national of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own nationality laws based on its own policy. Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. national parents may be both a U.S. national and a national of the country of birth. Or, an individual having one nationality at birth may naturalize at a later date in another country and become a dual national."
Some who try to examine the laws of the United States imagine that a "U.S. citizen is a citizen of this federal corporation, and not a union State or USA republic"except there is no 'USA Republic'. Reading the Constitution is not the same as understanding Contracts, Covenants and Constitutions. The Constitution did not create a republic but and indirect democracy as expressed in The American Creed.
They also make misleading statements like "a U.S. citizen is a legal fiction / U.S. corporation and has no rights secured by the constitution." The rights secured by the constitution includes the contracts and their obligations created by the application for and the acceptance of benefits.
Only people have rights secured by the constitution, not legal fictions. You should have checked off "other" on the form because you are a State Citizen that you were born in, which is referred to in article 3 and the 11th amendment of the constitution, which is the same as a "Citizen of the United States" as penned in article 1 and 2 of the constitution. that you were born in, which makes you a Citizen of all states, and one of the people, and a beneficiary of, the republic U.S.A. constitution of 1789/1791. A State Citizen is a Citizen of the United States. But not the same as a 14th amendment "Citizen of the United States". And the 14th amendment fell two states short of being ratified. So it does not lawfully exist. A 14th amendment citizen is born in the Untied States which is a federal territory and subject to congress. This is not the same as being born in one of the several states of the Union.
It is very dangerous quoting isolated case law without understanding them in the context of the whole body of law and history including your own. While "Taxpayers are not [de jure] State Citizens" many taxes are not the result of citizenship alone or even at all. Many non citizens and citizens pay the same taxes. Declaring yourself a national does not remove obligations of taxation or allegiance therefore it does not restore liberty.
Yes, there are differences between a citizen of the US and the citizen of a State or a resident of a State. Those differences are not the primary cause of the loss of liberty in America today, apparent bondage or seeming the loss of freedom. Yes the 14th Amendment added to the big picture in America but none of these events enslaved mankind nor were they unconstitutional.
It is true that the Constitution establishes the united States of America and those states remained “as foreign to each other as Mexico is to Canada.” What the Constitution did was incorporate a federal government by ratifying that agreement allowing rights to be retained by the states and the people as specified in the Bill of Rights.While at one point in time there may have been "Two Different and Distinct National Governments" both the states and the people have failed to retain those rights because they have both neglected responsibilities and applied for and accepted benefits at the expense of others.The treachery that binds the people today is their own covetous practices and the fact that the
"The masses continue with an appetite for benefits and the habit of receiving them by way of a rule of force and violence. The people, having grown accustomed to feed at the expense of others and to depend for their livelihood on the property of others... institute the rule of violence;  and now uniting their forces massacre, banish, and plunder, until they degenerate again into perfect savages and find once more a master and monarch."  
Polybius saw the downfall of the republic by way of their free bread and welfare a 150 years before the first Emperor of Rome and 175 years before the birth of John the Baptist and Jesus the Christ who opposed these same systems of free bread at your neighbor's expense.
The authoritarian State uses force and violence to become the Benefactors of the people. They force one class of citizen to provide for another through "legal charity" which is not true charity. The writings of the Apostles warned along with countless passages of ancient writings of the prophets including Proverbs 23 advised what Christ forbid the covetous practices of socialist forms of government. This is what has ended the "era of constitutional liberty guarded and protected by a written constitution" and the moral character of the people required to retain those rights and liberty itself.
Plutarch knew "That the man who first ruined the Roman people twas he who first gave them treats and gratuities" and understood that “The real destroyers of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits.”
We should all know this for we have been told from the beginning that "When thou sittest to eat with a ruler, consider diligently what [is] before thee:" Proverbs 23:1
Even the Constitutionalists did not head Biblical warnings in making that document.
"He who receives the benefit should also bear the disadvantage."
When you attempt to get a passport Title 22 Persons entitled to passport of the Act, “Foreign Relations and Intercourse,” Chapter 4 Section 212 clearly states:
- “No passport shall be granted or issued to or verified for any other persons than those owing allegiance, whether citizens or not, to the United States.”
This includes a National of the United States according to 8 USC 1101 (22) :
- "The term “national of the United States” means (A) a citizen of the United States, or (B) a person who, though not a citizen of the United States, owes permanent allegiance to the United States."
If we read the Application for passport; verification by oath of initial passport, in Title 22, Chapter 4, § 213. we also see that:
- “Before a passport is issued to any person by or under authority of the United States such person shall subscribe to and submit a written application which shall contain a true recital of each and every matter of fact which may be required by law or by any rules authorized by law to be stated as a prerequisite to the issuance of any such passport. If the applicant has not previously been issued a United States passport, the application shall be duly verified by his oath before a person authorized and empowered by the Secretary of State to administer oaths.”
Besides we are really barred from taking oaths by both the words of Christ and James.
- Matthew 5:34 "But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God’s throne:"
- James 5:12 "But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation."
But the terms of the oath grant considerable power over the individual by way of the Oath of Naturalization in TITLE 8 CFR § Sec. 337.1 Oath of allegiance are specific:
- "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."
That is clear that they would now have power over your labor once you take the oath and you would be assumed bound by that oath by both God and man if you apply for a passport or even its renewal under the conditions listed.
"He who derives a benefit from a thing, ought to feel the disadvantages attending it.  Remember “Protection draws to it subjection; subjection protection.” 
It was not always this way. If you go back to 1943 according to 54 Stat. 1157, 8 U.S.C. § 735(b), 8 U.S.C.A. § 735(b), which reads as follows:
- 'I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion: So help me God.'
But of course Social Security was both a system of Corban and a Corvee system where everyone joining waives a right to a portion of their labor with a Federal Employee Identification Number which some see as the Mark of the Beast which offers benefits but requires you to serve those elements that offer you peace and security.
Social Security Number
Of course they commonly request a Social Security Number or ITIN to obtain a passport (26 USC 6039E) just as they require a SSN which is an ITIN to get almost any government documentation or ID or license according to Section 666:
- Title 42 USC § 666 - Requirement of statutorily prescribed procedures ... (13) Recording of social security numbers in certain family matters.— Procedures requiring that the social security number of—
- (A) any applicant for a professional license, driver’s license, occupational license, recreational license, or marriage license be recorded on the application;
- (B) any individual who is subject to a divorce decree, support order, or paternity determination or acknowledgment be placed in the records relating to the matter; ...
We do not condemn anyone for having a social security number even if it is a form of the Mark of the Beast and neither does the Bible. We understand the difficulty of not having one better than most. But Ordained Ministers of the Church must waive their right to Social Security benefits on entering an Order for several reasons including Christ's position on Corban.
- Gregory Williams VIDEO: Hidden Obligations of Passports (4-minutes)
- FEE: Passports Were a “Temporary” War Measure
- Peter McCormick Podcast: A Borderless World
Guru theories come in all shapes and sizes often with some truths and dangerous errors but Moses and Jesus actually set men and women free when they chose to repent and sit down in Tens as Christ commanded seeking righteousness for others as much as they did for their selves.
Anna Maria Riezinger | Larken Rose | Marc Stevens | Mark Passio |
Grand jury | Non Statutory Abatement | Act of 1871 | Passports |
Spiritual Economics | Bondage | Snare | Merchandise | Curse children |
Employ | False religion | Denominations | Christian conflict |
Redemption | Fraud | Fiction of law | Iconoclast | One purse | Nicolaitan |
Cult | Mark of the Beast | Shamans | Imperial Cult of Rome |
His plan | The Blessed Strategy | The Way | Tens | Network
Consent not |
Social contract |
Withdraw consent |
Marriage | Permanency of marriage | Employ | Vows | Swear not | Oath of Naturalization |
Religion | Corban | Private welfare | Welfare | Welfare types | Titular |
One purse | Golden calf | Covet | Merchandise | Benefactors | Sovereign |
Government | Governments | Civil Government | Government and Liberty Described |
Social contract | Covenants of the gods | Contracts, Covenants and Constitutions |
Nationalism | Republic | Democracy | Minarchism | Statism | Fascism | Federation
Communism | Anarcho communism | Communist Manifesto | Saul Syndrome |
Communist Altruism | Primitive Communism | Karl Marx Marriage |
Collectivism | Altruism | Anarchist | Capitalism | Socialism | Rules For Radicals | Atheist |
Viable republic | Republican form | The Way | Perfect law of liberty | NAP |
Taxation | Tribute | Tithe | Tithing | Pay tribute | Social Security | Corban | Hierarchy |
Imperial Cult of Rome | The Democracy Cult | Employ | Bondage | Mammon |
Nimrod | Mystery Babylon | Saving Babylon | Exiting Babylon | Temples |
Supreme being | gods many | Ideological subversion | Foolishly | Law |
Schools as Tools | Roots of the Welfare State | Covetous Practices |
Consent not | Withdraw consent | Come out | Put out | Cry out | Voice |
Kingdom of God | Church legally defined | Pure Religion | Christian conflict |
Road closings | Right to disobey | Adhocracy | Righteousness | The Way |
Law | Divers lusts | Wantonness | Goats and Sheep | Brooking | Robots |
1 Samuel 8 | Proverbs 1 | Proverbs 23 | David Crockett | Self Defense
Socialism | Communism | Primitive Communism |
Anarcho communism | Communist Altruism | Collectivism |
Communitarian | Community Law | Crowd psychology |
Statues | Legal charity | Riots | Welfare |
Welfare_types | Public religion | Corban | Why Socialism |
Was Jesus a socialist | Not so Secure Socialism |
covetous practices | Weightier matters | Dialectic |
Bread and circuses | gods | Deist | James Scott |
Liberalism | Classical liberalism | Transcendentalist |
Polybius | Plutarch | Perfect law of liberty | Perfect savages |
Lady Godiva | Nimrod | Cain | Bondage of Egypt |
Corvee | Nicolaitan | Benefactors | Fathers |
Citizen | Social contract | Section 666 | Mark of the Beast |
Christian conflict | Diocletianic Persecution | Mystery Babylon |
Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark | Community |
I paid in | Goats_and_Sheep | Shepherds | Free Keys |
Roots of the Welfare State | Cloward-Piven Strategy |
Rules For Radicals | Communist Manifesto |
Live as if the state does not exist | Departed |
Nazi | Authority | Guru theories | Larken Rose |
Capitalism | Covet | Dominionism | FEMA | Network
Pure Religion |
Private welfare |
Fleeing Religion |
False religion | Public religion | Our Religion | Christian conflict |
Corban | Baptism | Benefactors | ThatWord | Daily ministration |
Modern Christians | Diocletianic Persecution | Christians check list |
gods | Judge not | Judge | Fathers | Deist | Damnable heresies |
Pharisees | Sadducees | Zealot | Essenes | Levites |
Messianic Judaism | Menahem the Essene | Sanhedrin |
Altars | Clay and Stone | Red Heifer | Golden calf |
Freewill offerings | Religion | Pure Religion | Public religion |
Christian conflict | Paganism | Denominations | Dispensationalism |
Benefactors | Corban | Daily ministration | Calendars |
Cult | Imperial Cult of Rome | Guru_theories| | Covet | Merchandise |
Mark of God | Mark of Cain | Mark of the Beast | Nature of the Beast
Section 666 | Benefactors | Biting one another | Cry out | Worship |
Church | Temples | Religious Orders | Priests | Kings and priests |
Hear | Bible Index | Network |
Join The Living Network of The Companies of Ten
The Living Network | Join Local group | About | Purpose | Guidelines | Network Removal
Contact Minister | Fractal Network | Audacity of Hope | Network Links
- No King But Caesar. http://www.hisholychurch.org/media/books/THL/tableofcontents.php The Higher Liberty]: No King but Caesar (page 9). World War 2's nationalist agenda, and eradication of those who would not swear allegiance to a political nation. Interview with caller from Nevada about the etymology of the word “roman”, and the history of Abraham. Many kingdoms - governments. Inhabitant vs. citizen. Gypsies. Passports. New World Chaos. Covenants of the Gods. People as collateral. Jews conquered by Rome. People constitute governments, not land. WWII war on internationals. Nationalism. The Invention of the Jewish People by Schlomo Sand. Ethnos - aam. Les Mots de la Nation by Sylvianne Rémi-Giraud. Nationalism and Its Alternatives Karl Deutsche. Bloodlines. Nations are people - countries are land. Romans. Basileus. Abraham. Ur - Atharvavedas. Altars of Abraham - people. Gathering of stones - gathering of friends.
- January 30, 2021 "No passport shall be granted or issued to or verified for any other persons than those owing allegiance, whether citizens or not, to the United States." 22 U.S. Code § 212 - Persons entitled to passport
- "Sections 71 to 78 transferred to sections 1501 to 1508, respectively, of Title 48, Territories and Insular Possessions." https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/71
79 to 60 Omitted.
Sections 83 to 86 Aliens owning land transferred to sections 1509 to 1512, respectively, of Title 48,
Chapt 4 § 61 to 65 Freedman - Omitted
- Title 8 U.S. Code § 1452 - Certificates of citizenship or U.S. non-citizen national status; procedure [1452b section 341 b 308 confers nationality but not citizenship.
101 a21, a22, 29]
- (b) Application to Secretary of State for certificate of non-citizen national status; proof; oath of allegiance taking and subscribing, before an immigration officer within the United States or its outlying possessions, to the oath of allegiance required by this chapter of a petitioner for naturalization, the individual shall be furnished by the Secretary of State with a certificate of non-citizen national status, but only if the individual is at the time within the United States or its outlying possessions.
- Title 8 USC §1101, (29) The term "outlying possessions of the United States" means American Samoa and Swains Island.
- Belmont v. Town of Gulfport, 122 So. 10.
- Clark's Summary of American Law, Constitutional Law.
- Matthew 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.
- Luke 16:16 The law and the prophets [were] until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.
- "But when a new generation arises and the democracy falls into the hands of the grandchildren of its founders, they have become so accustomed to freedom and equality that they no longer value them, and begin to aim at pre-eminence; and it is chiefly those of ample fortune who fall into this error. 6 So when they begin to lust for power and cannot attain it through themselves or their own good qualities, they ruin their estates, tempting and corrupting the people in every possible way. 7 And hence when by their foolish thirst for reputation they have created among the masses an appetite for gifts and the habit of receiving them, democracy in its turn is abolished and changes into a rule of force and violence. 8 For the people, having grown accustomed to feed at the expense of others and to depend for their livelihood on the property of others, as soon as they find a leader who is enterprising but is excluded from the houses of office by his penury, institute the rule of violence; 9 and now uniting their forces massacre, banish, and plunder, until they degenerate again into perfect savages and find once more a master and monarch." Polybius: The Histories (composed at Rome around 130 BC)Fragments of Book VI, p289 See also Loeb Classical Library edition, 1922 thru 1927
- An alternate translation in context, "9. For no sooner had the knowledge of the jealousy and hatred existing in the citizens against them which is replaced by democracy, emboldened some one to oppose the government by word or deed, than he was sure to find the whole people ready and prepared to take his side. Having then got rid of these rulers by assassination or exile, they do not venture to set up a king again, being still in terror of the injustice to which this led before; nor dare they intrust the common interests again to more than one, considering the recent example of their misconduct: and therefore, as the only sound hope left them is that which depends upon themselves, they are driven to take refuge in that; and so changed the constitution from an oligarchy to a democracy, and took upon themselves the superintendence and charge of the state. And as long as any survive who have had experience of oligarchical supremacy and domination, they regard their present constitution as a blessing, and hold equality and freedom as of the utmost value. But as soon as a new generation has arisen, and the democracy has descended to their children’s children, long association weakens their value for equality and freedom, and some seek to become more powerful than the ordinary citizens; and the most liable to this temptation are the rich. (which degenerates into rule of corruption and violence, only to be stopped by a return to despotism.) So when they begin to be fond of office, and find themselves unable to obtain it by their own unassisted efforts and their own merits, they ruin their estates, while enticing and corrupting the common people in every possible way. By which means when, in their senseless mania for reputation, they have made the populace ready and greedy to receive bribes, the virtue of democracy is destroyed, and it is transformed into a government of violence and the strong hand. For the mob, habituated to feed at the expense of others, and to have its hopes of a livelihood in the property of its neighbours, as soon as it has got a leader sufficiently ambitious and daring, being excluded by poverty from the sweets of civil honours, produces a reign of mere violence. Then come tumultuous assemblies, massacres, banishments, redivisions of land; until, after losing all trace of civilisation, it has once more found a master and a despot." Translator: Evelyn Shirley Shuckburgh, Release Date: November 8, 2013 [EBook #44126]
- "The idea prevails with some, indeed it has expression in arguments at the bar, that we have in this country substantially two national governments; one to be maintained under the Constitution, with all its restrictions; the other to be maintained by Congress outside and independently of that instrument, by exercising such powers as other nations of the earth are accustomed to... I take leave to say that, if the principles thus announced should ever receive the sanction of a majority of this court, a radical and mischievous change in our system will result. We will, in that event, pass from the era of constitutional liberty guarded and protected by a written constitution into an era of legislative absolutism... It will be an evil day for American Liberty if the theory of a government outside the Supreme Law of the Land finds lodgment in our Constitutional Jurisprudence. No higher duty rests upon this court than to exert its full authority to prevent all violation of the principles of the Constitution." --Honorable Supreme Court Justice John Harlan in the 1901 case of Downes v. Bidwell.
- Plutarch's Life of Coriolanus (c. 100 AD.)
- Deuteronomy 17
- Cujus est commodum ejus debet esse incommodum.
- Que sentit commodum, sentire debet et onus. 2 Bouv. Inst. n. 1433.
- Protectio trahit subjectionem, subjectio protectionem. Coke, Littl. 65.