1 John 5
|So we see in the first few verses that John again repeats the only ones who are born again of God and are the overcomers keep the commandments and those who do not keep the commandments are not born again of God despite what they feel or say.|
|All the way to verse 13 we see that the spirit is truth and Christ is the truth, and Jesus is one with God and if we are to have eternal life He must dwell in us and we in Him which will cause us to keep the commandments.|
|Verses from 17 again repeat that All unrighteousness is sin: and those born again of God do not sin.|
|We also see in 18 that "whole world lieth in wickedness" as the world does again today.|
|Verse 7 does not appear in any version of the Greek text prior to the ninth century. It does appear in most of the Latin manuscripts, especially in the Vetus Itala which is the Old Latin predating Jerome. It has been added to later Greek manuscripts. English Standard Version and New American Standard Bible do not include the verse.|
|Are you clear about what John means when he uses the word "world"?|
|What does it men to " keep yourselves from idols"?|
- 1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
- 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
- 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
- 4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
- 5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?
- 6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.
- 7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
- 8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
- 9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.
- 10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
- 11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
- 12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
- 13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
- 14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
- 15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
- 16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
- 17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
- 18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
- 19 And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.
- 20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
- 21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.
Early non Bible authors
Athenagoras of Athens | Methodius of Olympus | The Gospel of Thomas |
Hippolytus of Rome | Justin the Martyr | Jerome | Augustine of Hippo |
Epistle of Mathetes |
Philo Judaeus or Philo of Alexandria and The Allegories of the Sacred Laws
People in the Bible
Paul the Apostle | Melchizedek | Moses | Cain | Caesar | Herod | Jesus |
John the Baptist | Nimrod | Abraham | Essenes |
Buddha | Celsus | Constantine | Eusebius | Marcus Tullius Cicero | Augustine of Canterbury |
Ambrose | Lady Godiva | Plutarch | Polybius | Seneca | Tacitus | Vespian | Manichaeism | John Wycliffe |
Pure Religion |
Private welfare |
Fleeing Religion |
False religion | Public religion | Our Religion | Christian conflict |
Corban | Baptism | Benefactors | ThatWord | Daily ministration |
Modern Christians | Diocletianic Persecution | Christians check list |
gods | Judge not | Judge | Fathers | Deist | Damnable heresies |
Pharisees | Sadducees | Zealot | Essenes | Levites |
Messianic Judaism | Menahem the Essene | Sanhedrin |
Altars | Clay and Stone | Red Heifer | Golden calf |
Freewill offerings | Religion | Pure Religion | Public religion |
Christian conflict | Paganism | Denominations | Dispensationalism |
Benefactors | Corban | Daily ministration |
Cult | Imperial Cult of Rome | Guru_theories| | Covet | Merchandise |
Mark of God | Mark of Cain | Mark of the Beast
Section 666 | Benefactors | Biting one another | Cry out | Worship |
Church | Temples | Religious Orders | Priests | Kings and priests |
Bible Index | Network |
Join The Living Network of The Companies of Ten
The Living Network | Join Local group | About | Purpose | Guidelines | Network Removal
Contact Minister | Fractal Network | Audacity of Hope | Network Links
- 1 Corinthians 10:14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry <1495>.
:Galatians 5:20 Idolatry <1495>, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
- Colossians 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry <1495>:
- 1 Peter 4:3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries <1495>: