- Dearth a scarcity or lack of something. From the old English "dirth" meaning a lack of, or insignificant amount.
"there is a dearth of evidence"
synonyms: lack, scarcity, shortage, shortfall, want, deficiency, insufficiency, inadequacy, paucity, sparseness, scantiness, rareness; absence
- 3042 ~λιμός~ limos \@lee-mos’\@ probably from 3007 (through the idea of destitution); n m AV-famine 7, hunger 3, dearth 2; 12 1) scarcity of harvest, famine.
When the early Christians faced shortages of food or other needs they provided those shortages through charity as taught by John the Baptist and Jesus who was the Christ. Jesus called out a group of men, trained them up with special instructions and appointed them, even commanded them, to organize the people so that they, the early Church, could "feed His Sheep" in a daily ministration of Pure Religion.
The provision of aid and welfare to the Christian community by the early Church established by Christ was at the heart of the Christian conflict with Rome. The Corban of the Modern Christian is more like that of the Pharisees than the Corban of Christ. Are Modern Christians under a Strong delusion, have they returned to the mire, and again become entangled in the elements of the world?
- Matthew 24:7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famine<3042>, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
- Mark 13:8 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be earthquakes in divers places, and there shall be famines<3042> and troubles: these are the beginnings of sorrows.
- Luke 4:25 But I tell you of a truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elias, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine<3042> was throughout all the land;
- Luke 15:14 And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine<3042> in that land; and he began to be in want.
- Luke 15:17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father’s have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger<3042>!
- Luke 21:11 And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines <3042>, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.
- Acts 711 Now there came a dearth over all the land of Egypt and Chanaan, and great affliction: and our father
- Acts 11:28 And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit <4151> that there should be great famine throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar
- Romans 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine <3042>, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
- 2 Corinthians 11:27 In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger <3042> and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.
- Revelation 6:8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger<3042>, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
- Revelation 18:8 Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine <3042>; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong is the Lord God who judgeth her.
In the Old Testament
- 07458 ^בער^ ra‘ab \@raw-awb’\@ from 07456; n m; AV-famine 87, hunger 8, dearth 5, famished 1; 101 1) famine, hunger 1a) famine (in land, nation) 1a1) of Jehovah’s word (fig) 1b) hunger (of individuals)
- Genesis 12:10 And there was a famine <07458> in the land: and Abram went down into Egypt to sojourn there; for the famine <07458> was grievous in the land.
- Genesis 26:1 And there was a famine <07458> in the land, beside the first famine <07458> that was in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went unto Abimelech king of the Philistines unto Gerar.
- Genesis 41:27 And the seven thin and ill favoured kine that came up after them are seven years; and the seven empty ears blasted with the east wind shall be seven years of famine <07458>.
- Genesis 41:30 And there shall arise after them seven years of famine <07458>; and all the plenty shall be forgotten in the land of Egypt; and the famine <07458> shall consume the land;
- Genesis 41:31 And the plenty shall not be known in the land by reason of that famine <07458> following; for it shall be very grievous.
- Genesis 41:36 And that food shall be for store to the land against the seven years of famine <07458>, which shall be in the land of Egypt; that the land perish not through the famine <07458>.
- Genesis 41:50 And unto Joseph were born two sons before the years of famine <07458> came, which Asenath the daughter of Potipherah priest of On bare unto him.
- Genesis 41:54 And the seven years of dearth <07458> began to come, according as Joseph had said: and the dearth <07458> was in all lands; but in all the land of Egypt there was bread.
- Genesis 41:56 And the famine <07458> was over all the face of the earth: And Joseph opened all the storehouses, and sold unto the Egyptians; and the famine <07458> waxed sore in the land of Egypt.
- Genesis 41:57 And all countries came into Egypt to Joseph for to buy corn; because that the famine <07458> was so sore in all lands.
- Genesis 42:5 And the sons of Israel came to buy corn among those that came: for the famine <07458> was in the land of Canaan.
- Genesis 43:1 And the famine <07458> was sore in the land.
Genesis 45:6 For these two years hath the famine <07458> been in the land: and yet there are five years, in the which there shall neither be earing nor harvest.
- Genesis 45:11 And there will I nourish thee; for yet there are five years of famine <07458>; lest thou, and thy household, and all that thou hast, come to poverty.
- Genesis 47:4 They said moreover unto Pharaoh, For to sojourn in the land are we come; for thy servants have no pasture for their flocks; for the famine <07458> is sore in the land of Canaan: now therefore, we pray thee, let thy servants dwell in the land of Goshen.
- Genesis 47:13 And there was no bread in all the land; for the famine <07458> was very sore, so that the land of Egypt and all the land of Canaan fainted by reason of the famine <07458>.
- Genesis 47:20 And Joseph bought all the land of Egypt for Pharaoh; for the Egyptians sold every man his field, because the famine <07458> prevailed over them: so the land became Pharaoh’s.
- Exodus 16:3 And the children of Israel said unto them, Would to God we had died by the hand of the LORD in the land of Egypt, when we sat by the flesh pots, and when we did eat bread to the full; for ye have brought us forth into this wilderness, to kill this whole assembly with hunger <07458>.
- Deuteronomy 28:48 Therefore shalt thou serve thine enemies which the LORD shall send against thee, in hunger <07458>, and in thirst, and in nakedness, and in want of all things: and he shall put a yoke of iron upon thy neck, until he have destroyed thee.
- Deuteronomy 32:24 They shall be burnt with hunger <07458>, and devoured with burning heat, and with bitter destruction: I will also send the teeth of beasts upon them, with the poison of serpents of the dust.
- Ruth 1:1 Now it came to pass in the days when the judges ruled, that there was a famine <07458> in the land. And a certain man of Bethlehemjudah went to sojourn in the country of Moab, he, and his wife, and his two sons.
- 2 Samuel 21:1 Then there was a famine <07458> in the days of David three years, year after year; and David enquired of the LORD. And the LORD answered, It is for Saul, and for his bloody house, because he slew the Gibeonites.
- 2 Samuel 24:13 So Gad came to David, and told him, and said unto him, Shall seven years of famine <07458> come unto thee in thy land? or wilt thou flee three months before thine enemies, while they pursue thee? or that there be three days’ pestilence in thy land? now advise, and see what answer I shall return to him that sent me.
- 1 Kings 8:37 If there be in the land famine <07458>, if there be pestilence, blasting, mildew, locust, or if there be caterpiller; if their enemy besiege them in the land of their cities; whatsoever plague, whatsoever sickness there be;
- 1 Kings 18:2 And Elijah went to shew himself unto Ahab. And there was a sore famine <07458> in Samaria.
- 2 Kings 4:38 And Elisha came again to Gilgal: and there was a dearth <07458> in the land; and the sons of the prophets were sitting before him: and he said unto his servant, Set on the great pot, and seethe pottage for the sons of the prophets.
- 2 Kings 6:25 And there was a great famine <07458> in Samaria: and, behold, they besieged it, until an ass’s head was sold for fourscore pieces of silver, and the fourth part of a cab of dove’s dung for five pieces of silver.
- 2 Kings 7:4 If we say, We will enter into the city, then the famine <07458> is in the city, and we shall die there: and if we sit still here, we die also. Now therefore come, and let us fall unto the host of the Syrians: if they save us alive, we shall live; and if they kill us, we shall but die.
- 2 Kings 8:1 Then spake Elisha unto the woman, whose son he had restored to life, saying, Arise, and go thou and thine household, and sojourn wheresoever thou canst sojourn: for the LORD hath called for a famine <07458>; and it shall also come upon the land seven years.
- 2 Kings 25:3 And on the ninth day of the fourth month the famine <07458> prevailed in the city, and there was no bread for the people of the land.
- 1 Chronicles 21:12 Either three years’ famine <07458>; or three months to be destroyed before thy foes, while that the sword of thine enemies overtaketh thee; or else three days the sword of the LORD, even the pestilence, in the land, and the angel of the LORD destroying throughout all the coasts of Israel. Now therefore advise thyself what word I shall bring again to him that sent me.
- 2 Chronicles 6:28 If there be dearth <07458> in the land, if there be pestilence, if there be blasting, or mildew, locusts, or caterpillers; if their enemies besiege them in the cities of their land; whatsoever sore or whatsoever sickness there be:
- 2 Chronicles 20:9 If, when evil cometh upon us, as the sword, judgment, or pestilence, or famine <07458>, we stand before this house, and in thy presence, (for thy name is in this house,) and cry unto thee in our affliction, then thou wilt hear and help.
- 2 Chronicles 32:11 Doth not Hezekiah persuade you to give over yourselves to die by famine <07458> and by thirst, saying, The LORD our God shall deliver us out of the hand of the king of Assyria?
- Nehemiah 5:3 Some also there were that said, We have mortgaged our lands, vineyards, and houses, that we might buy corn, because of the dearth <07458>.
- Nehemiah 9:15 And gavest them bread from heaven for their hunger <07458>, and broughtest forth water for them out of the rock for their thirst, and promisedst them that they should go in to possess the land which thou hadst sworn to give them.
- Job 5:20 In famine <07458> he shall redeem thee from death: and in war from the power of the sword.
- Psalms 33:19 To deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine <07458>.
- Psalms 105:16 Moreover he called for a famine <07458> upon the land: he brake the whole staff of bread.
- Isaiah 5:13 Therefore my people are gone into captivity, because they have no knowledge: and their honourable men are famished <07458>, and their multitude dried up with thirst.
- Isaiah 14:30 And the firstborn of the poor shall feed, and the needy shall lie down in safety: and I will kill thy root with famine <07458>, and he shall slay thy remnant.
- Isaiah 51:19 These two things are come unto thee; who shall be sorry for thee? desolation, and destruction, and the famine <07458>, and the sword: by whom shall I comfort thee?
- Jeremiah 5:12 They have belied the LORD, and said, It is not he; neither shall evil come upon us; neither shall we see sword nor famine <07458>:
- Jeremiah 11:22 Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, Behold, I will punish them: the young men shall die by the sword; their sons and their daughters shall die by famine <07458>:
- Jeremiah 14:12 When they fast, I will not hear their cry; and when they offer burnt offering and an oblation, I will not accept them: but I will consume them by the sword, and by the famine <07458>, and by the pestilence.
- Jeremiah 14:13 Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, the prophets say unto them, Ye shall not see the sword, neither shall ye have famine <07458>; but I will give you assured peace in this place.
- Jeremiah 14:15 Therefore thus saith the LORD concerning the prophets that prophesy in my name, and I sent them not, yet they say, Sword and famine <07458> shall not be in this land; By sword and famine <07458> shall those prophets be consumed.
- Jeremiah 14:16 And the people to whom they prophesy shall be cast out in the streets of Jerusalem because of the famine <07458> and the sword; and they shall have none to bury them, them, their wives, nor their sons, nor their daughters: for I will pour their wickedness upon them.
- Jeremiah 14:18 If I go forth into the field, then behold the slain with the sword! and if I enter into the city, then behold them that are sick with famine <07458>! yea, both the prophet and the priest go about into a land that they know not.
- Jeremiah 15:2 And it shall come to pass, if they say unto thee, Whither shall we go forth? then thou shalt tell them, Thus saith the LORD; Such as are for death, to death; and such as are for the sword, to the sword; and such as are for the famine <07458>, to the famine <07458>; and such as are for the captivity, to the captivity.
- Jeremiah 16:4 They shall die of grievous deaths; they shall not be lamented; neither shall they be buried; but they shall be as dung upon the face of the earth: and they shall be consumed by the sword, and by famine <07458>; and their carcases shall be meat for the fowls of heaven, and for the beasts of the earth.
- Jeremiah 18:21 Therefore deliver up their children to the famine <07458>, and pour out their blood by the force of the sword; and let their wives be bereaved of their children, and be widows; and let their men be put to death; let their young men be slain by the sword in battle.
- Jeremiah 21:7 And afterward, saith the LORD, I will deliver Zedekiah king of Judah, and his servants, and the people, and such as are left in this city from the pestilence, from the sword, and from the famine <07458>, into the hand of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, and into the hand of their enemies, and into the hand of those that seek their life: and he shall smite them with the edge of the sword; he shall not spare them, neither have pity, nor have mercy.
- Jeremiah 21:9 He that abideth in this city shall die by the sword, and by the famine <07458>, and by the pestilence: but he that goeth out, and falleth to the Chaldeans that besiege you, he shall live, and his life shall be unto him for a prey.
- Jeremiah 24:10 And I will send the sword, the famine <07458>, and the pestilence, among them, till they be consumed from off the land that I gave unto them and to their fathers.
- Jeremiah 27:8 And it shall come to pass, that the nation and kingdom which will not serve the same Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon, and that will not put their neck under the yoke of the king of Babylon, that nation will I punish, saith the LORD, with the sword, and with the famine <07458>, and with the pestilence, until I have consumed them by his hand.
- Jeremiah 27:13 Why will ye die, thou and thy people, by the sword, by the famine <07458>, and by the pestilence, as the LORD hath spoken against the nation that will not serve the king of Babylon?
- Jeremiah 29:17 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Behold, I will send upon them the sword, the famine <07458>, and the pestilence, and will make them like vile figs, that cannot be eaten, they are so evil.
- Jeremiah 29:18 And I will persecute them with the sword, with the famine <07458>, and with the pestilence, and will deliver them to be removed to all the kingdoms of the earth, to be a curse, and an astonishment, and an hissing, and a reproach, among all the nations whither I have driven them:
- Jeremiah 32:24 Behold the mounts, they are come unto the city to take it; and the city is given into the hand of the Chaldeans, that fight against it, because of the sword, and of the famine <07458>, and of the pestilence: and what thou hast spoken is come to pass; and, behold, thou seest it.
- Jeremiah 32:36 And now therefore thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel, concerning this city, whereof ye say, It shall be delivered into the hand of the king of Babylon by the sword, and by the famine <07458>, and by the pestilence;
- Jeremiah 34:17 Therefore thus saith the LORD; Ye have not hearkened unto me, in proclaiming liberty, every one to his brother, and every man to his neighbour: behold, I proclaim a liberty for you, saith the LORD, to the sword, to the pestilence, and to the famine <07458>; and I will make you to be removed into all the kingdoms of the earth.
- Jeremiah 38:2 Thus saith the LORD, He that remaineth in this city shall die by the sword, by the famine <07458>, and by the pestilence: but he that goeth forth to the Chaldeans shall live; for he shall have his life for a prey, and shall live.
- Jeremiah 38:9 My lord the king, these men have done evil in all that they have done to Jeremiah the prophet, whom they have cast into the dungeon; and he is like to die for hunger <07458> in the place where he is: for there is no more bread in the city.
- Jeremiah 42:16 Then it shall come to pass, that the sword, which ye feared, shall overtake you there in the land of Egypt, and the famine <07458>, whereof ye were afraid, shall follow close after you there in Egypt; and there ye shall die.
- Jeremiah 42:17 So shall it be with all the men that set their faces to go into Egypt to sojourn there; they shall die by the sword, by the famine <07458>, and by the pestilence: and none of them shall remain or escape from the evil that I will bring upon them.
- Jeremiah 42:22 Now therefore know certainly that ye shall die by the sword, by the famine <07458>, and by the pestilence, in the place whither ye desire to go and to sojourn.
- Jeremiah 44:12 And I will take the remnant of Judah, that have set their faces to go into the land of Egypt to sojourn there, and they shall all be consumed, and fall in the land of Egypt; they shall even be consumed by the sword and by the famine <07458>: they shall die, from the least even unto the greatest, by the sword and by the famine <07458>: and they shall be an execration, and an astonishment, and a curse, and a reproach.
- Jeremiah 44:13 For I will punish them that dwell in the land of Egypt, as I have punished Jerusalem, by the sword, by the famine <07458>, and by the pestilence:
- Jeremiah 44:18 But since we left off to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, we have wanted all things, and have been consumed by the sword and by the famine <07458>.
- Jeremiah 44:27 Behold, I will watch over them for evil, and not for good: and all the men of Judah that are in the land of Egypt shall be consumed by the sword and by the famine <07458>, until there be an end of them.
- Jeremiah 52:6 And in the fourth month, in the ninth day of the month, the famine <07458> was sore in the city, so that there was no bread for the people of the land.
- Lamentations 2:19 Arise, cry out in the night: in the beginning of the watches pour out thine heart like water before the face of the Lord: lift up thy hands toward him for the life of thy young children, that faint for hunger <07458> in the top of every street.
- Lamentations 4:9 They that be slain with the sword are better than they that be slain with hunger <07458>: for these pine away, stricken through for want of the fruits of the field.
- Lamentations 5:10 Our skin was black like an oven because of the terrible famine <07458>.
- Ezekiel 5:12 A third part of thee shall die with the pestilence, and with famine <07458> shall they be consumed in the midst of thee: and a third part shall fall by the sword round about thee; and I will scatter a third part into all the winds, and I will draw out a sword after them.
- Ezekiel 5:16 When I shall send upon them the evil arrows of famine <07458>, which shall be for their destruction, and which I will send to destroy you: and I will increase the famine <07458> upon you, and will break your staff of bread:
- Ezekiel 5:17 So will I send upon you famine <07458> and evil beasts, and they shall bereave thee; and pestilence and blood shall pass through thee; and I will bring the sword upon thee. I the LORD have spoken it.
- Ezekiel 6:11 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Smite with thine hand, and stamp with thy foot, and say, Alas for all the evil abominations of the house of Israel! for they shall fall by the sword, by the famine <07458>, and by the pestilence.
- Ezekiel 6:12 He that is far off shall die of the pestilence; and he that is near shall fall by the sword; and he that remaineth and is besieged shall die by the famine <07458>: thus will I accomplish my fury upon them.
- Ezekiel 7:15 The sword is without, and the pestilence and the famine <07458> within: he that is in the field shall die with the sword; and he that is in the city, famine <07458> and pestilence shall devour him.
- Ezekiel 12:16 But I will leave a few men of them from the sword, from the famine <07458>, and from the pestilence; that they may declare all their abominations among the heathen whither they come; and they shall know that I am the LORD.
- Ezekiel 14:13 Son of man, when the land sinneth against me by trespassing grievously, then will I stretch out mine hand upon it, and will break the staff of the bread thereof, and will send famine <07458> upon it, and will cut off man and beast from it:
- Ezekiel 14:21 For thus saith the Lord GOD; How much more when I send my four sore judgments upon Jerusalem, the sword, and the famine <07458>, and the noisome beast, and the pestilence, to cut off from it man and beast?
- Ezekiel 34:29 And I will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more consumed with hunger <07458> in the land, neither bear the shame of the heathen any more.
- Ezekiel 36:29 I will also save you from all your uncleannesses: and I will call for the corn, and will increase it, and lay no famine <07458> upon you.
- Ezekiel 36:30 And I will multiply the fruit of the tree, and the increase of the field, that ye shall receive no more reproach of famine <07458> among the heathen.
- Amos 8:11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine <07458> in the land, not a famine <07458> of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:
- Temple of Diana ... them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth [economic depression] throughout all the world:
Surety...> our lands, vineyards, and houses, that we might buy corn, because of the dearth.
Join The Living Network of The Companies of Ten
The Living Network | Join Local group | About | Purpose | Guidelines | Network Removal
Contact Minister | Fractal Network | Audacity of Hope | Network Links
Modern Christians |
Christian conflict |
Christ | Body of Christ | Jesus | Temptations | New creature |
Back to Basics: Christianity | The Blessed Strategy | Are Christians Idiots |
Power to change | Born again | Thy first love | Not inherit the kingdom |
Church | Early Church | Christians check list |
== Footnotes ==