Deuteronomy 4:9 "Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons’ sons;"
When these words were written they did not use the normal word for teach in the Greek language.
The most common word for teach is didasko (διδάσκω) meaning to teach. in the sense of "to hold discourse with others in order to instruct them, deliver didactic discourses".
another word is katecheo (κατηχέω) which only appears a few times and is from two words from kata meaning according to and echos meaning sound as in noise. The word is commonly translated as instruct or teach even inform by word of mouth.
Another word used even less is heterodidaskaleo (ἑτεροδιδασκαλέω). It is another compound Greek word that means to teach something litterally from another master.
The word translated teach in Matthew 28:29 appears only four times in the Bible. It is the word matheteuo (μαθητεύω)and it is from the word for disciple which means a student. The word matheteuo means "to be a disciple of one"
Why is this important?
We are not to make everyone our disciple but to make everyone God's disciple. We are not to become their masters but by example of being disciples of Jesus Christ and His Holy Spirit we direct people to Him. We want the Lord to write upon everyman's heart and mind so that they may become His Children and His Disciples taught bu His Holy Spirit.
This explanation that we "shall not teach (didasko) every man his neighbour, and every man his brother," because they will know the truth.
Being a disciple of that spirit requires that we look deep within our own hearts for true repentance. We know we must believe in Christ but how deep does that belief go.
Are we just believing in a mental image constructed in our minds by "teachers"?
Do we believe in the real Jesus Christ?
Our works will show us if our faith is real?
This is because faith without works is dead.
Real repentance deep down in our hearts works.
Continuing Education |
Sudbury Schools |
Public Education | Common Core | Not free Education | Schools as Tools | HHC publications
Homeschooled | Homeschooling by the Numbers | Norman Dodd | The Reece Committee
How to Enroll Online | Movies | Books | HHC Online Courses | Teach | Online Courses
Join The Living Network of The Companies of Ten
The Living Network | Join Local group | About | Purpose | Guidelines | Network Removal
Contact Minister | Fractal Network | Audacity of Hope | Network Links
== Footnotes ==
- Deuteronomy 4:1 ¶ Now therefore hearken, O Israel, unto the statutes and unto the judgments, which I teach you, for to do [them], that ye may live, and go in and possess the land which the LORD God of your fathers giveth you.
- 1321 ~διδάσκω~ didasko \@did-as’-ko\@ a prolonged (causative) form of a primary verb dao (to learn); v AV-teach 93, taught + 2258 4; 97
- 1) to teach 1a) to hold discourse with others in order to instruct them, deliver didactic discourses 1b) to be a teacher 1c) to discharge the office of a teacher, conduct one’s self as a teacher
- 2) to teach one 2a) to impart instruction 2b) instill doctrine into one 2c) the thing taught or enjoined 2d) to explain or expound a thing 2f) to teach one something
- : Matthew 4:23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching <1321> in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.
- Matthew 5:2 And he opened his mouth, and taught <1321> them, saying,
- Matthew 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach <1321> men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach <1321> them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
- Matthew 7:29 For he taught <1321> them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
- Matthew 9:35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching <1321> in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.
- Matthew 11:1 And it came to pass, when Jesus had made an end of commanding his twelve disciples, he departed thence to teach <1321> and to preach in their cities.
- Matthew 13:54 And when he was come into his own country, he taught <1321> them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished, and said, Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works?
- Matthew 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching <1321> for doctrines the commandments of men.
- Matthew 21:23 And when he was come into the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came unto him as he was teaching <1321>, and said, By what authority doest thou these things? and who gave thee this authority?
- Matthew 22:16 And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, : : Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest <1321> the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any man: for thou regardest not the person of men.
- Matthew 26:55 In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes, Are ye come out as against a thief with swords and staves for to take me? I sat daily with you teaching <1321> in the temple, and ye laid no hold on me.
- Matthew 28:15 So they took the money, and did as they were taught <1321>: and this saying is commonly reported among the Jews until this day.
- Matthew 28:20 Teaching <1321> them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
- Mark 1:21 And they went into Capernaum; and straightway on the sabbath day he entered into the synagogue, and taught <1321>.
- Mark 1:22 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught <1321> them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.
- Mark 2:13 And he went forth again by the sea side; and all the multitude resorted unto him, and he taught <1321> them.
- Mark 4:1 And he began again to teach <1321> by the sea side: and there was gathered unto him a great multitude, so that he entered into a ship, and sat in the sea; and the whole multitude was by the sea on the land.
- Mark 4:2 And he taught <1321> them many things by parables, and said unto them in his doctrine,
- Mark 6:2 And when the sabbath day was come, he began to teach <1321> in the synagogue: and many hearing him were astonished, saying, From whence hath this man these things? and what wisdom is this which is given unto him, that even such mighty works are wrought by his hands?
- Mark 6:6 And he marvelled because of their unbelief. And he went round about the villages, teaching <1321>.
- Mark 6:30 And the apostles gathered themselves together unto Jesus, and told him all things, both what they had done, and what they had taught <1321>.
- Mark 6:34 And Jesus, when he came out, saw much people, and was moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd: and he began to teach <1321> them many things.
- Mark 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching <1321> for doctrines the commandments of men.
- Mark 8:31 And he began to teach <1321> them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.
- Mark 9:31 For he taught <1321> his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day.
- Mark 10:1 And he arose from thence, and cometh into the coasts of Judaea by the farther side of Jordan: and the people resort unto him again; and, as he was wont, he taught <1321> them again.
- Mark 11:17 And he taught <1321>, saying unto them, Is it not written, My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer? but ye have made it a den of thieves.
- Mark 12:14 And when they were come, they say unto him, Master, we know that thou art true, and carest for no man: for thou regardest not the person of men, but teachest <1321> the way of God in truth: Is it lawful to give tribute to Caesar, or not?
- Mark 12:35 And Jesus answered and said, while he taught <1321> in the temple, How say the scribes that Christ is the Son of David?
- Mark 14:49 I was daily with you in the temple teaching <1321>, and ye took me not: but the scriptures must be fulfilled.
- Luke 4:15 And he taught <1321> in their synagogues, being glorified of all.
- Luke 4:31 And came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and taught <1321> them on the sabbath days.
- Luke 5:3 And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon’s, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught <1321> the people out of the ship.
- Luke 5:17 And it came to pass on a certain day, as he was teaching <1321>, that there were Pharisees and doctors of the law sitting by, which were come out of every town of Galilee, and Judaea, and Jerusalem: and the power of the Lord was present to heal them.
- Luke 6:6 And it came to pass also on another sabbath, that he entered into the synagogue and taught <1321>: and there was a man whose right hand was withered.
- Luke 11:1 And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach <1321> us to pray, as John also taught <1321> his disciples.
- Luke 12:12 For the Holy Ghost shall teach <1321> you in the same hour what ye ought to say.
- Luke 13:10 And he was teaching <1321> in one of the synagogues on the sabbath.
- Luke 13:22 And he went through the cities and villages, teaching <1321>, and journeying toward Jerusalem.
- Luke 13:26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught <1321> in our streets.
- Luke 19:47 And he taught <1321> daily in the temple. But the chief priests and the scribes and the chief of the people sought to destroy him,
- Luke 20:1 And it came to pass, that on one of those days, as he taught <1321> the people in the temple, and preached the gospel, the chief priests and the scribes came upon him with the elders,
- Luke 20:21 And they asked him, saying, Master, we know that thou sayest and teachest <1321> rightly, neither acceptest thou the person of any, but teachest <1321> the way of God truly:
- Luke 21:37 And in the day time he was teaching <1321> in the temple; and at night he went out, and abode in the mount that is called the mount of Olives.
- Luke 23:5 And they were the more fierce, saying, He stirreth up the people, teaching <1321> throughout all Jewry, beginning from Galilee to this place.
- John 6:59 These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught <1321> in Capernaum.
- John 7:14 Now about the midst of the feast Jesus went up into the temple, and taught <1321>.
- John 7:28 Then cried Jesus in the temple as he taught <1321>, saying, Ye both know me, and ye know whence I am: and I am not come of myself, but he that sent me is true, whom ye know not.
- John 7:35 Then said the Jews among themselves, Whither will he go, that we shall not find him? will he go unto the dispersed among the Gentiles, and teach <1321> the Gentiles?
- John 8:2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught <1321> them.
- John 8:20 These words spake Jesus in the treasury, as he taught <1321> in the temple: and no man laid hands on him; for his hour was not yet come.
- John 8:28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught <1321> me, I speak these things.
- John 9:34 They answered and said unto him, Thou wast altogether born in sins, and dost thou teach <1321> us? And they cast him out.
- John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach <1321> you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
- John 18:20 Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught <1321> in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing.
- Acts 1:1 The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach <1321>,
- Acts 4:2 Being grieved that they taught <1321> the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead.
- Acts 4:18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach <1321> in the name of Jesus.
- Acts 5:21 And when they heard that, they entered into the temple early in the morning, and taught <1321>. But the high priest came, and they that were with him, and called the council together, and all the senate of the children of Israel, and sent to the prison to have them brought.
- Acts 5:25 Then came one and told them, saying, Behold, the men whom ye put in prison are standing in the temple, and teaching <1321> the people.
- Acts 5:28 Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should <1321> not teach <1321> in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man’s blood upon us.
- Acts 5:42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach <1321> and preach Jesus Christ.
- Acts 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught <1321> much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
- Acts 15:1 And certain men which came down from Judaea taught <1321> the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.
- Acts 15:35 Paul also and Barnabas continued in Antioch, teaching <1321> and preaching the word of the Lord, with many others also.
- Acts 18:11 And he continued there a year and six months, teaching <1321> the word of God among them.
- Acts 18:25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught <1321> diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.
- Acts 20:20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught <1321> you publickly, and from house to house,
- Acts 21:21 And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest <1321> all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs.
- Acts 21:28 Crying out, Men of Israel, help: This is the man, that teacheth <1321> all men every where against the people, and the law, and this place: and further brought Greeks also into the temple, and hath polluted this holy place.
- Acts 28:31 Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching <1321> those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.
- Romans 2:21 Thou therefore which teachest <1321> another, teachest thou <1321> not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal?
- Romans 12:7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth <1321>, on teaching;
- 1 Corinthians 4:17 For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach <1321> every where in every church.
- 1 Corinthians 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach <1321> you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
- Galatians 1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught <1321> it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.
- Ephesians 4:21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught <1321> by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
- Colossians 1:28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching <1321> every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:
- Colossians 2:7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught <1321>, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
- Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching <1321> and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught <1321>, whether by word, or our epistle.
- 1 Timothy 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach <1321>, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
- 1 Timothy 4:11 These things command and teach <1321>.
- 1 Timothy 6:2 And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful and beloved, partakers of the benefit. These things teach <1321> and exhort.
- 2 Timothy 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach <1321> others also.
- Titus 1:11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching <1321> things which they ought not, for filthy lucre’s sake.
- Hebrews 8:11 And they shall <1321> not teach <1321> every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
- 1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach <1321> you: but as the same anointing teacheth <1321> you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught <1321> you, ye shall abide in him.
- Revelation 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught <1321> Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
- Revelation 2:20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach <1321> and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
- 2727 ~κατηχέω~ katecheo \@kat-ay-kheh’-o\@ from 2596 and 2279; v AV-instruct 3, teach 3, inform 2; 8 1) to sound towards, sound down upon, resound 1a) to charm with resounding sound, to fascinate 2) to teach orally, to instruct 3) to inform by word of mouth 3a) to be orally informed
- 2085 ~ἑτεροδιδασκαλέω~ heterodidaskaleo \@het-er-od-id-as-kal-eh’-o\@ from 2087 and 1320; v AV-teach other doctrine 1, teach otherwise 1; 2 1) to teach other or different doctrine 1a) deviating from the truth
- Acts 16:21 And teach customs, which are not lawful for us to receive, neither to observe, being Romans.
- 2605 ~καταγγέλλω~ kataggello \@kat-ang-gel’-lo\@ from 2596 and the base of 32; v AV-preach 10, show 3, declare 2, teach 1, speak of 1; 17 1) to announce, declare, promulgate, make known 2) to proclaim publicly, publish 3) to denounce, report, betray
- : Matthew 13:52 Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed <3100> unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old.
- Matthew 27:57 When the even was come, there came a rich man of Arimathaea, named Joseph, who also himself was <3100> Jesus’ disciple <3100>:
- Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach <3100> all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
- Acts 14:21 And when they had preached the gospel to that city, and had taught many, they returned again to Lystra, and [to] Iconium, and Antioch,
- 3100 ~μαθητεύω~ matheteuo \@math-ayt-yoo’-o\@ from 3101; TDNT-4:461,552; v AV-teach 2, instruct 1, be disciple 1; 4
- 1) to be a disciple of one 1a) to follow his precepts and instructions
- 2) to make a disciple 2a) to teach, instruct
- Hebrews 8:10 For this [is] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:Hebrews 8:11 And they shall not teach (didasko) every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
HELP US BY SUBSCRIBING TO ALL THESE CHANNELS
To read more go to "His Holy Church" (HHC) http://www.hisholychurch.org/
Join the network.
Brother Gregory in the wilderness.