- 1 Homeschooling
- 1.1 Why Homeschool?
- 1.2 Resources
- 1.3 General Curriculum Information
- 1.4 Online Homeschool Programs
- 1.5 Specific Course Curriculum
- 1.6 Various Methods Overview
- 1.7 More Resources
- 1.8 Books for Children
- 1.9 Articles
- 2 Podcasts
- 3 More Videos
- 4 Homeschooling Images
One of the primary responsibilities we have as parents is to make sure our children are trained/educated properly. I prefer to use the terms "trained" or "educated" instead of "schooled" because to me they are more appropriate. It's similar to saying "children" instead of "kids." I fail quite a lot in my efforts there, but I try to use language appropriately. Frankly, my children aren't goats...I don't like that connotation. The whole sheep and goats thing troubles me. Why would we want to call our children goats? Sorry, I got sidetracked for a moment, but I think it's worth considering.
Every family has different dynamics that make it unique, and every child in a family has different characteristics that makes them an individual. As parents, we have a dedicated interest in our children, and know best what makes our child/children unique. Education is not a one size fits all proposition. Just as each child is unique, part of the homeschooling puzzle is identifying the learning style best suited to each child.
Here's an article that may inspire you to get started.
If that didn't do it watch the video Indoctrination. It's a crash course in "Why Homeschool?"
FYI - I have a beef with most homeschool history curriculum. When looking into a homeschool history curriculum for the first time, you will notice that it tends to have a very loud "patriotic, evangelical" voice. I am irritated some by this, but it is what it is - a manufactured worldview for mass consumption, in my opinion. I think there's a need for an alternative-viewpoint curriculum (history) that doesn't come draped in a flag and carrying a cross...to borrow part of a quote from Sinclair Lewis. We've been using Brother Gregory's books to supplement areas where there just aren't very many options. Regardless of what curriculum you use, I think you should involve yourself in what your child is learning. Correct the propaganda where you see it, and make sure your children are allowed to question what they read. Discussions are important!
- Whether it's time, vacation, curriculum, or whatever, homeschooling offers a family the ability to make choices that are best for them.
- Build Community
- Homeschooling can bring families together with other like-minded families to share ideas, resources, and counsel. Homeschool co-ops are a great resource for meeting other homeschool families. When you homeschool and make an effort to find other homeschoolers, you'll find a valuable new circle of friends who, bringing their unique skill sets, are ready to help you succeed.
- Learn New Skills
- Taking Responsibility
- Taking Responsibility for training/educating your children is part of loving your neighbor. The responsibility is yours...take it by the horns! When you rely on the State for your children's education, you're actually coveting/stealing from your neighbor through the agency of a government that is willing to use violence. If you doubt this, try not paying property taxes and see what happens.
- Learn What You Didn't Learn The First Time
- Customize the Learning Experience for YOUR Child
- Education doesn't have to be one size fits all
- Limit Indoctrination by the State
- When YOU train YOUR children, you're not competing with the world as much as you are for their hearts and minds. If your children are spending 6 - 8 hours a day soaking up other peoples worldview, at some point you're going to have a problem.
- For More on "Why Home School"? Watch the documentary film, IndoctriNATION, click here for trailers
School to fool Are schools and educational institutions used as a social tool?
Schools as Tools Has someone used the modern public schools to mold the minds of America for their own purposes.  Printable 5" X 8 1/2" Pamphlets Standard 8 1/2"X 11" Print Friendly
- home-school.com - Lots of good information here about how to get started and connected with the homeschool community wherever you are. See the GROUPS link for co-op information.
- Alliance for Self-Directed Education - Comprehensive, searchable database that contains listings of SDE-aligned schools, learning centers, co-ops, collectives, books, films, websites, workshops & training, professional services, and more.
General Curriculum Information
- Also, check out her top 100 picks - the advantage to something like this site is that she doesn't play favorites w/ one curriculum provider. She chooses the providers who are best at what they do - making it easier to tailor your child's education to their talents & interests.
- Small company that puts together packages of some of the best curriculum, including educational toys, for birth through high school (yes, birth!)
- Here's an example of a "box" type curriculum - everything you need to teach comes in a box from the same company....they do some things well & some things are pretty dry.....but sometimes a highly structured, scripted plan can help get you started.
- Dr. Robinson K-12 Homeschool Curriculum. Developed by a scientist and his six children.
- Classical Curriculum Online Courses Available
- Veritas Press Online Courses Available
Online Homeschool Programs
Specific Course Curriculum
- http://www.rosettastone.com/ Any language you can think of.
- http://www.littlepim.com/ Foreign Language for the Little Ones - Get them started early!
- http://www.memoriapress.com/ Latin/Classical Instruction
- http://www.veritaspress.com/ Latin/Classical Instruction
- Mapping the World by Heart curriculum Students develop a comprehensive knowledge of geography that allows them to map the world entirely from memory. Grades 5-12.
- Consider podcasts on the subject...
- Hardcore History - Dan Carlin is considered THE superstar of history podcasts.
- History on Fire - I don't like his accent, but he's still better than any history teacher I ever had.
- Martyr Made provides amazing detail about history of Palestine starting in the early 1900s through the establishment of modern Israel. Totally altered my perception.
- Maritime History - World history from the perspective of boats.
- The History of Rome - Mike Duncan is the preeminent podcaster on Roman history.
- Our Fake History discusses common lies and myths of history.
- Books/audiobooks also offer possibilities
- MY FAVORITE: Steve Berry is a former lawyer who digs out tons of interesting, forgotten, alternative historical details in his Cotton Malone series
- Clive Cussler always weaves intriguing historical events throughout his novels. His protagonists always seem to have high moral codes.
- Saxon Tales series by Bernard Cornwell chronicles the epic saga of the making of England.
- Pillars of the Earth centers around the building of a cathedral in England during the early Middle Ages. This books starts the hardships and triumphs of several families. Later books follow later generations of those same families as the community around the cathedral develops.
- http://fallacydetective.com/ Really helps your children to develop discernment. Cuts through the propaganda like a hot knife. Teaches children how to debate effectively.
- http://www.mathusee.com/ Uses manipulatives and videos to teach math
- http://www.mathmammoth.com Math Mammoth: Very effective and affordable. Grades 1 - 12
- http://www.TabletClass.com TabletClass: Amazing video math teaching PreAlgebra, Algebra, Geometry & Algebra 2.
- Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons I can't say enough good things about this approach. There are over 1000 reviews on Amazon. Rated 4.5
- http://www.apologia.com/ Creation Based Science Curriculum
- http://www.superchargedscience.com Supercharged Science K - 12
- Astronomy - Electric Universe Theory uses demonstrable experiments to overturn mainstream theory that depends upon fantasies like black holes and dark matter to fill the gaps in pure mathematical that have no foundation in reality. As this new understanding of the universe develops, it will completely transform our understanding of things like mythology, biology, geology, medicine, and more. These two interviews provide a good overview...
- Mythology - Video - Symbols of an Alien Sky provides new, concrete foundations
Various Methods Overview
- Excellent overview of various methods & styles of homeschooling w/ links to a few companies that support each.(There are hundreds more in each category though!). We did pretty straight classical for our first 5-6 years but have transitioned to eclectic & self taught as our children entered high school. Our pre-ks are getting more Charlotte Mason & Montessori right now & will probably stay there awhile.
- Just like the name says, homeschooling on a shoestring! No or low cost ways to educate your children at home....this link is actually more of the above as far as methods but the site has a lot more to explore...more below on free or low cost curriculum
- Thomas Jefferson Education is an educational philosophy and a methodology by which great individuals throughout history were educated. Our family has successfully incorporated this philosophy into our homeschool. We started with the book, A Thomas Jefferson Education, and the articles on the TJed.org website.
- Free Charlotte Mason-type lessons for k-12
- Old Fashioned, but pretty good stuff & free
- Introduction to Montessori Methods at Home
- The Wal-Mart of Homeschool Resources
- Project Based Learning Article for Homeschoolers
- Toys from Trash
- Book: A Thomas Jefferson Education
- Home School Buyers Co-op - The World's Largest Buyers Club for Homeschoolers
- Biblical Educator Gary North - Free book downloads
- 200 Free Kids Educational Resources: Video Lessons, Apps, Books, Websites & More
- 100 Famous Homeschoolers
- Largest free ebook library
Books for Children
In this video Libertarian author Connor Boyack explains how homeschooling his own kids helped him discover the need for children's books that embrace the liberty/anarchist worldview. His Tuttle Twins series has started with children's versions of Bastiat's, The Law, and Freidman's explanation of the free market through the creation of a pencil.
- Three Friends Free, shows how we all use voluntary interactions in our every day lives and what happens when violence is introduced.
- The Adventures of Jonathan Gullible by Ken Schoolland. It's probably more suitable for early teens. The newest edition is even designed with questions at the end of chapters.
- The Uncle Eric Book Series which includes the popular economics lessons Whatever Happened to Penny Candy? and The Money Mystery: The Hidden Force Affecting Your Career, Business, and Investments
- 2018-05-30: Thanks, Google! Homeschool Co-ops Going Hi-Tech
- 2018-05-21: 13 Ways Public Schools Incubate Mental Instability In Kids
- 2018-05-19: It’s Time to Focus on the ‘School’ in ‘School Shooting’
- 2018-04-26: The Perks of a Play-in-the-Mud Educational Philosophy
- 2018-04-16: Hard-Won Homeschooling Freedoms Are Under Threat and Must Be Defended
- 2018-04-15: How Learning Blossoms in a School without Schooling
- 2018-04-12: The Truth About Homeschoolers in College
- 2018-03-18: How school ruins kids and how it has probably ruined you too
- 2018-02-22: 7 Reasons to Shut Down Public Schools Immediately and Permanently
- 2018-02-14: The State weaponizes education to create ignorance
- 2018-01-31: It Takes Humility to Learn Deeply
- 2018-01-28: A Thousand Rivers: What the modern world has forgotten about children and learning
- 2018-01-18: World's first ethnomathematics program offered at UH
- 2018-01-12: Five ways schools destroy children’s freedom (and what to do about it)
- 2018-01-05: DANGEROUS Parenting: Tips on Homeschooling from a Hollywood Christian
- 2017-12-16: We are born creative geniuses and the education system dumbs us down, according to NASA scientists
- 2017-11-13: Education’s Future: What Will Replace K-12 and College?
- 2017-11-06: WeWork Wants to Teach Kindergartners to Disrupt Shit Up
- 2017-10-30: They Dream of School, and None of the Dreams Are Good
- 2017-10-12: I Teach at a University and I Unschool My Kids
- 2017-10-06: Why climbing trees is better academic prep for kids than filling out worksheets
- 2017-09-14: Why I Don’t Want My Kids Going to Public School
- 2017-09-06: Compulsory Schooling Is Incompatible with Freedom
- 2017-09-05: Teen Suicide Rates Spike as Back-To-School Season Begins
- 2017-08-31: No Homework, No Lesson Plan: Why I’m ‘Unschooling’ My Kids
- 2017-07-13: Why School Sucks (hint: it’s not because it’s “boring”)
- 2017-06-29: Homeschooling for Free and Frugal: Teaching Home Economics for Free
- 2017-05-30: Why Valedictorians Rarely Become Rich and Famous -- and the Average Millionaire's College GPA is 2.9
- 2017-04-30: The best reason not to home-school your children
- 2017-03-16: Road Schooling: Ditch the Classroom and Learn from the World
- 2017-02-23: What If Grocery Stores Worked Like Public Schools?
- 2017-01-03: Why Americans are Getting Dumber and How to Fix It
- 2016-12-14: U.S. Kids Keep Getting Dumber; Ranked 31st Of 35 Developed Nations In Math, New Study Reveals
- 2016-11-12: The Dehumanisation of Children
- 2016-10-19: Without Self-Education, the West Will Probably Die
- 2016-09-25: Open Letter to U.S. Education Secretary King Who Says Homeschoolers Would Be Better Off in Public Schools
- 2016-09-16: These Elementary Schools Tripled Recess Time And Saw Immediate Positive Results
- 2016-08-20: Homeschooling is the smartest way to teach kids in the 21st century
- 2016-08-03: Wild and Free
- 2016-07-04: Homeschoolers Creaming Other Students on the SAT
- 2016-05-24: Are Homeschoolers Overqualified?
- 2016-05-22: Is Lack of Play the Reason Kids are Depressed?
- 2016-04-17: 9 Elephants in the (Class)Room That Should “Unsettle” Us
- 2016-04-13: This is why those weird moms homeschool
- 2016-03-01: Notre Dame Prof: Our Schools are Committing ‘Civilizational Suicide’
- 2016-02-29: The Truth About Gary North & The Ron Paul Curriculum
- 2016-02-18: What changed this teacher's mind about home schooling
- 2015-12-17: We need fewer exams and more wilderness in education
- 2015-11-11: Stanford researchers show we’re sending many children to school way too early
- 2015-08-08: Amount Of Students Homeschooling Increased 62% In The Past Decade
- 2015-06-02: Elon Musk admits to “Unschooling” his Children
- 2015-05-06: THE UNSAFE CHILD: Less Outdoor Play is Causing More Harm than Good
- 2015-04-07: The Five Tiers of Homeschooling
- 2015-04-03: Best Educational YouTube Channels for Homeschoolers
- 2015-03-31: School is a Building, Learning is a Lifestyle
- 2014-09-29: How to Really Prepare Your Child For The Real World
- 2014-09-02: How do Unschoolers Turn Out?
- 2014-08-12: We Don't Need No Education
- 2014-07-02: Study: Too Many Structured Activities May Hinder Children's Executive Functioning
- 2014-03-19: The Advantages of Homeschooling
- 2014-02-19: Why schools are failing our boys
- 2012-04-16: Rewilding Our Children
- 2010-04-15: Kids Learn Math Easily When They Control Their Own Learning
- 2010-01-26: The Decline of Play and Rise in Children's Mental Disorders
- 2009-09-09: Seven Sins of Our System of Forced Education
- Benefits and Disadvantages of Homeschooling
- RESEARCH FACTS ON HOMESCHOOLING
- Cardus Survey—The Rest of the Story
- Exploring Unschooling podcast
- Tom Woods The Case Against Education
- Tom Woods How State and Society Invented Adolescence, and Screwed Up Young People
- Liz Wheeler: Liberal blames school shootings on homeschooling
- FreedomToons: Debates with Strawmen: School Choice
- Humanity Casually Explained
- Todd Wilson uncovers six lies most homeschool moms believe - HUMOR
- Reason: A Libertarian Builds Low-Cost Private Schools for the Masses
- Elon Musk "I hated School. It was torture"
- NASA Scientists: Education System Dumbs Us Down
- Stossel: Saving Kids From Government Schools
- The Case Against Education: Government Spending $1 Trillion a Year on Schooling Is a Waste of Money
- Six Problems with Modern Schooling
- This state school in England teaches kids how to shoot, and to gut and cook pigeons.
- Self-Directed Education: Allowing Children to Learn & Develop Naturally
- Trusting Children to Learn
- Christian Homeschooling Becoming Popular in Russia...Finally
- Tom Woods RAILING against the public schools
- If Government Ran a Grocery Store
- Sudbury Schools
- Actress Sam Sorbo on Why She Chose Homeschooling
- Are Your Kids Too Fragile? How to Make the Next Generation More Resilient
- Why is Teaching a Crime? California Denies Blue-Collar Workers Entry to Trade Schools
- The Pholospher: Top 3 Ethical Alternatives to Public School
- Stossel: Government-Run Schools Crush Innovation - Part 1
- Stossel: Government-Run Schools Crush Innovation - Part 2
Continuing Education |
Public schools | Public Education | Common Core
Not free Education | Schools as Tools | Movies | Books | HHC publications
Teach | Homeschooled | Homeschooling by the Numbers
Norman Dodd | The Reece Committee
HHC Online Courses | How to Enroll Online | Online Courses