Another early Patristic author of a church sect was Ambrose.
By the voice of the people, Ambrose was elected as bishop of Milan. But these voters were “instant Christians”, formed at the emperor’s command, not by repentance but by order to be baptized. These just add water converts would alter Christianity.
Ambrose, was the son of the governor of Gaul and a former high Roman official. He had asked the emperor if he could become Bishop of Milan and was granted that right by this self-appointed "Bishop of Bishops". Before Ambrose could accept this position, he had to take time to research what Christianity was, for he had no idea. He returned sometime later with his own doctrines. Ambrose considered a bishop as an “aristocratic figure” and formulated the Church according to the “ways of Rome issuing decrees, edicts, and commands”, rather than serving as a subject, minister, and servant of the people. He also displayed a fierce hatred of women that was carried into the middle ages. He was intolerant of other religions and actually argued in the Roman Senate that all other religions should be stamped out.
The idea that other religions should be persecuted by Roman force and policy seems to fly in the face of the injustice of the Crucifixion itself. Such insidious ideas were seeded here but bring about holocausts and inquisitions.
Ambrose who is often listed as Patristic author of this new church and was considered a bishop as an “aristocratic figure”, and he formulated the Church according to the “ways of Rome issuing decrees, edicts, and commands”, rather than serving as a subject, minister, and servant of the people. He also displayed a fierce hatred of women that was carried into the middle ages.
“Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using; after the commandments and doctrines of men?” Colossians 2:21-22
These people, by a majority vote, chose a single, top-down ruling bishop for thousands and, at the command of a tyrant and his Edict of Milan, were not Christians of repentance, although, they may have been baptized with water and fanfare. The Milan Church, its hierarchy of authority, was established by the spirit and character of Constantine, not by Christ. Much of what we see as the Church has come down through this tainted religion and apostasy. To understand the Church and its position in the Kingdom of God, we must go back to its origin, which is Christ, not Constantine.
“Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men.” 1 Corinthians 7:23
These new Christians came to believe without repentance. They were enticed by the favor and grace of emperors, not Christ. These bribes for their faith included millions of dollars in land, gold, and silver, given out of the treasury of Rome. These royal grants were given to bishops who came to his councils and remained, or to those who were appointed by his own permission and authority. These new bishops were soon issuing edicts and commands, even calling for the persecution of pagans or Christians who did not bow down to the thinking of this new church.
The citizens of Milan were truly instant Christians. They eventually elected this man Ambrose as the Bishop of Milan. Ambrose a roman lawyer and governor had tortured prisoners and entertained prostitutes. At first he refused the election, knowing little of Christianity or the ways of Christ. But with popular support and the emperor’s encouragement he relented and within a week he was baptized with water.
Except for words and names there was little alteration of the spirit of these new Christians. Ambrose did take a leave of absence from his employment with the empire to study some of the basic requirements for the ministers of Christ.
As bishop of the Church he knew he could own no property in his own name and apportioned his money to the poor, donating his lands, except for provision for his sister Marcellina, and committing some of his property to the care of his family by his brother.
From Judas to Constantine, from Ambrose to tax-funded Faith-Based socialism and modern systems of Corban that make the word of God to none effect, men have undermined the gospel of the kingdom and gone under the control of benefactors who exercise authority one over the other and [[the fathers of the earth]].
It is time for the people to repent and learn to attend to the Weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith which include caring for the needs of our neighbors and the widows and orphans of our society through Pure Religion in matters of health, education, and welfare. We are NOT to do so by the Covetous Practices of modern governments.
The Way of Christ was like neither the way of the world nor the governments of the gentiles who depend on benefactors who exercise authority. Christ's ministers and true Christians do not depend upon systems of social welfare that force the contributions of the people like the corban of the Pharisees which made the word of God to none effect. Many people have been deceived to go the way of Balaam and the Nicolaitan and out of The Way of Christ.
The Christian conflict of the first century Church appointed by Christ was because they would not apply to the fathers of the earth for benefits but instead relied upon a voluntary network providing a daily ministration to the needy of society through Faith, Hope, and Charity by way of freewill offerings of the people, for the people, and by the people through the perfect law of liberty in Free Assemblies according to the ancient pattern of Tuns or Tens.
"Follow me!" —Jesus the Christ.
- One of the most important things to do is to become involved in a network of Charitable Practices. Everyone should want to join a Living Network of Love and Charity.
- If you think you have a calling to be a Minister of God or you might want to dedicate your life to Christ as an Ordained Minister of His Holy Church, contact us to start the process of discipleship and become the benefactors who exercise only love, NOT authority.
This Audio Broadcast talks about:
- Are Christian's Idiots? The Gospel of James. The Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew Faith and hope. Essenes. Hellenistic Greeks. Reserve funds - golden statues. Share with the brethren first. Reading the Gospel in the Dark - Portrayals of Jesus in Films by Richard Walsh. The Conflict, Holiness and Politics in the Teachings of Jesus by Marcus J. Borg. Why were Christians being persecuted? Jesus Christ of Nazareth legal King of Judea. Follow the money. Bishop Ambrose of Milan. Constantine. Lady Godiva and the Free Church Report. Biblical Theology Bulletin. Journal of Biblical Literature. New wine in old wineskins. Journal of American Academy of Religion. Jesus in Contemporary Scholarship By Marcus Borg www.preparingyou.com - The Conflict of Christianity and the Roman State. The Historical Jesus - The Life of a Mediterranean Jewish Peasant by John Dominic Crossan - religious and economic egalitarianism.
The rest of this series is here and other [Audio2014|audio files]]
Called out |
Church legally defined |
Priests | Minister | Deacon | Bishop | Elder | Clergy | Laity | Home church |
Early Church | Religion | Corban | Storehouse | Daily ministration |
The Way | Rituals and ceremonies | The Blessed Strategy |
Minister of the world | Welfare types | Socialism | Public religion |
The Church chained | Body of Christ | Kingdom of God | Levites |
The Free Church Report | Church Study course online | Unchurched |
Ministers | Christians | Modern Christians | Christians check list |
Theology | Lady Godiva | Whosoever believeth | Worship | Salvation |
Creed of the Apostles | Benefactors | Cain | Nimrod | Constantine |
Christian conflict | Fathers | Patristic | Ambrose | Jerome |
Join The Living Network of The Companies of Ten
The Living Network | Join Local group | About | Purpose | Guidelines | Network Removal
Contact Minister | Fractal Network | Audacity of Hope | Network Links
- Instant Christians. Just add water. Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Acts 2:38
- Matthew 20:25-26 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
Mark 10:42-43 But Jesus called them to him, and saith unto them, Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them. But so shall it not be among you: but whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister:
Luke 22:25-26 And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors. But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve.