1. Romans, An Introduction
2. Romans, An Introduction, Romans 1, Part 1
3. Romans 1, Part 2
Prologue and introduction(1:1–15)
1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle,7 separated unto the gospel of God,
2 (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)
3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord,8 which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
4 And declared to be the Son of God with power,9 according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:
5 By whom we have received grace10 and apostleship, for obedience11 to the faith12 among all nations,13 for his name:
6 Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ:
7 To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace14 from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.
End of 2nd hour
3. Romans, An Chapter 1, Part 2
2/15/2013 4:52 PM 26346582 13-2-10Romans-3.mp3
Prayer of Thanksgiving (1:8-15) And believe:
John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
John 6:36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.
John 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 10:37 38 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.
John 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
John 12:11 Because that by reason of him many of the Jews went away, and believed on Jesus.
John 12:47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
John 20:8 Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulchre, and he saw, and believed.
Acts 5:14 And believers were the more added to the Lord, multitudes both of men and women.)
Acts 9:26 And when Saul was come to Jerusalem, he assayed to join himself to the disciples: but they were all afraid of him, and believed not that he was a disciple.
Acts 15:7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
Acts 16:1 Then came he to Derbe and Lystra: and, behold, a certain disciple was there, named Timotheus, the son of a certain woman, which was a Jewess, and believed; but his father was a Greek:
Acts 17:34 Howbeit certain men clave unto him, and believed: among the which was Dionysius the Areopagite, and a woman named Damaris, and others with them.
Acts 19:9 But when divers were hardened, and believed not, but spake evil of that way before the multitude, he departed from them, and separated the disciples, disputing daily in the school of one Tyrannus.
1 John 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
8 ¶ First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.
15 9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers;
10 Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you.
11 For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established;
12 That is, that I may be comforted together16 with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.
13 Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,)that I might have some fruit17 among you also, even as among other Gentiles.
14 I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise.
15 So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.
Righteousness of God (1:16-17)
16 ¶ For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power [dunamis]of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Salvation in Christ
- John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
- Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
- Mark 11:17 And he taught, saying unto them, Is it not written, My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer? but ye have made it a den of thieves.
- Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
- Genesis 18:18 Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?
Genesis 22:18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.
- Genesis 26:4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
- Deuteronomy 14:2 For thou [art] an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that [are] upon the earth.
- Deuteronomy 17:14 When thou art come unto the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt possess it, and shalt dwell therein, and shalt say, I will set a king over me, like as all the nations that [are] about me;
Where is confusion?
- Matthew 10:6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
- Matthew 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
- Jeremiah 50:6 My people hath been lost sheep: their shepherds have caused them to go astray, they have turned them away on the mountains: they have gone from mountain to hill, they have forgotten their restingplace.
17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
The judgment of God (1:18–32)
18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
- Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
- Romans 1:2 (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)
- Psalms 71:24 My tongue also shall talk of thy righteousness all the day long: for they are confounded, for they are brought unto shame, that seek my hurt.
- Isaiah 26:9 With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early: for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness.
- Isaiah 58:2 Yet they seek me daily, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and forsook not the ordinance of their God: they ask of me the ordinances of justice; they take delight in approaching to God.
- Hosea 10:12 Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the LORD, till he come and rain righteousness upon you.
- Zephaniah 2:3 Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD’S anger.
- Ezekiel 33:18 When the righteous turneth from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, he shall even die thereby.19 ¶ Because that [? righteousness ?]which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
- Jeremiah 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
- Hebrews 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
- Hebrews 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
End of 3rd hour
4. Romans, Chapter 1 and 2
2/16/2013 10:13 AM 27452293 13-2-10Romans-4.mp3
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations19, and their foolish20 heart was darkened.
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
- 1 Samuel 13:13 And Samuel said to Saul, Thou hast done foolishly: thou hast not kept the commandment of the LORD thy God, which he commanded thee: for now would the LORD have established thy kingdom upon Israel for ever.
- Psalms 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.
- Psalms 39:8 Deliver me from all my transgressions: make me not the reproach of the foolish.
- Psalms 69:5 O God, thou knowest my foolishness; and my sins are not hid from thee.
- Psalms 73:3 For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
- Proverbs 9:6 Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.
23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. [symbols of power establish by covenants]
24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: [stepping out of the presence of God= adds subjectivity]
25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
- The word creature from ktisis in the Greek is translated “ordinance” once in the Bible. It is translated creature or creation 17 times. It is defined as ”the act of founding, establishing”. In Mark 16:15 we are told to “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature [institution of mankind]”. People are literally worshiping the governments they institute because the modern Church has failed to preach the Gospel of the kingdom.
26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Ezekiel 16:49 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.
29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication [metaph. the worship of idols ], wickedness[evil purposes and desires], covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Matthew 22:18 But Jesus perceived their wickedness <4189>, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites?
Mark 7:22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness <4189>, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
Luke 11:39 And the Lord said unto him, Now do ye Pharisees make clean the outside of the cup and the platter; but your inward part is full of ravening and wickedness <4189>.
Acts 3:26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities <4189>.
1 Corinthians 5:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness <4189>; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness <4189> in high places.
30 Backbiters[defamer], haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors[ contriver] of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection[unsociable], implacable[without a treaty or covenant ], unmerciful:
32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
- 2937 ~κτίσις~ ktisis \@ktis’-is\@ from 2936; n f AV-creature 11, creation 6, building 1, ordinance 1; 19
- 1) the act of founding, establishing, building etc
- 1a) the act of creating, creation
- 1b) creation i.e. thing created
- 1b1) of individual things, beings, a creature, a creation
- 1b1a) anything created
- 1b1b) after a rabbinical usage (by which a man converted from idolatry to Judaism was called)
- 1b1c) the sum or aggregate of things created
- 1c) institution, ordinance</Ref> which is also translated creature 11 times
- 1) the act of founding, establishing, building etc