Humble is "having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's own importance." or "of low social, administrative, or political rank."
Synonyms are meek, deferential, respectful, submissive, diffident, self-effacing, unassertive;
5013 ~ταπεινόω~ tapeinoo \@tap-i-no’-o\@ from 5011; v AV-humble 6, abase 5, humble (one’s) self 2, bring low 1; 14
- 1) to make low, bring low
- 1a) to level, reduce to a plain
- 1b) metaph. to bring into a humble condition, reduce to meaner circumstances
- 1b1) to assign a lower rank or place to
- 1b2) to abase
- 1b3) to be ranked below others who are honoured or rewarded
- 1b4) to humble or abase myself by humble living
- 1c) to lower, depress
- 1c1) of one’s soul bring down one’s pride
- 1c2) to have a modest opinion of one’s self
- 1c3) to behave in an unassuming manner
- 1c4) devoid of all haughtiness
- Matthew 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble <5013> himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
- Matthew 23:12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased <5013>; and he that shall humble <5013> himself shall be exalted.
- Luke 3:5 Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low <5013>; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways shall be made smooth;
- Luke 14:11 For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased <5013>; and he that humbleth <5013> himself shall be exalted.
- Luke 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased <5013>; and he that humbleth <5013> himself shall be exalted.
- 2 Corinthians 11:7 Have I committed an offence in abasing <5013> myself that ye might be exalted, because I have preached to you the gospel of God freely?
- 2 Corinthians 12:21 And lest, when I come again, my God will humble <5013> me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.
- Philippians 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled <5013> himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
- Philippians 4:12 I know both how to be abased <5013>, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
- James 4:10 Humble yourselves <5013> in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.
- 1 Peter 5:6 Humble yourselves <5013> therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: