The Greek word Ge 1093 ~γῆ~ ge \@ghay\@ contracted from a root word; n f AV-earth 188, land 42, ground 18, country 2, world 1, earthly + 1537 + 3588 1; 252
- 1) arable land
- 2) the ground, the earth as a standing place
- 3) the main land as opposed to the sea or water
- 4) the earth as a whole
- 4a) the earth as opposed to the heavens
- 4b) the inhabited earth, the abode of men and animals
- 5) a country, land enclosed within fixed boundaries, a tract of land, territory, region
The Greeks used the term Planitis πλανήτης is where we get the word planet but the Greeks would not use it in refference to the earth because that Greek word Planitis means "wondering star" even when not accompanied by the Greek word star ἀστήρ~ aster.
We do find πλανήτης planetes in the Bible
- Jude 1:13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.
But it is used as a metaphore because it is from πλάνος planos which appears as deceiver 4 times and seducing once.
The earth did not fit that description unless they thought of it traveling around the sum. The wondering meant it did not follow the ecliptic like the other stars because they had their own orbits and retrogrades. This alternate path caused them to be called "wandering".
If they wanted to use a word to describe the planet earth which they walked upon and inhabited with the rest of living things they would use gi or ge.
Join The Living Network of The Companies of Ten
The Living Network | Join Local group | About | Purpose | Guidelines | Network Removal
Contact Minister | Fractal Network | Audacity of Hope | Network Links
- 4107 ~πλανήτης~ planetes \@plan-ay’-tace\@ or ~πλάνης~ planes \@plan’-ace\@ from 4108; n m AV-wandering 1; 1 1) a wanderer: wandering stars
- 792 ~ἀστήρ~ aster \@as-tare’\@ probably from the base of 4766; n m AV-star 24; 24 1) a star
- Matthew 27:63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver <planos> said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
- 2 Corinthians 6:8 By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers <planos>, and yet true;
- 1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing <planos> spirits, and doctrines of devils;
- 2 John 1:7 For many deceivers <planos> are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver <planos> and an antichrist.